Monday 24 September 2007

Not very handy

There are times in this land, when I still get caught out and infuriated by the over organised and officious manner of the place.
For example, I went into the T.Com shop the other day, where I got my mobile phone from. They call mobile phones 'handy's' here. Handy? why? because it's 'to hand', ie. in your pocket when you need it. I've always found it a very amusing appropriaion of English.
I wanted to cancel my contract because I'm leaving, simple, right? you tell them, and then a month later they cut you off? WRONG. Even though I have had the phone for 2 years which was the original contract I signed up for, now, because I didn't give 3 months notice to terminate, I have to have the phone for 6 more months. That is nuts. I'm sure it's all in the contract, but did I read that? ERRRR...NOOOO, something to do with it being in German, and me arriving in here 2 years ago and not speaking any German. All the Sausagelanders probably read their contracts in detail. This is, after all a nation where examining any kind of paperwork is a major pastime. Checking supermarket reciepts immediately after clearing the checkout is virtually a national sport.
Pah! to the phone company. I might just close my bank account so they can't have my money, ha! wow - I am so clever.
Oh, this reminds me of the on-going histoire with the GEZ...It's a long one so I might have to make a seperate post.

mobile phones - there is no escape.

No comments: