Friday 31 October 2008

pick pocket

I saw a pick pocket the other day, round the corner from my home! shocker. he was actually running alongside a woman as she cycled along with her little bag over her shoulder. he was leaning over and trying to un-zip the bag as he ran along beside her. By the time i worked out what he was doing they were so far down the street i couldn't do anything, which begs the question, what does one do it this case? shout "stop! thief! and embark on a chase hopefully gaining the assistance of another member of the public?

In this country I'm not sure what i would do really, were I quick enough off the mark. I think I would say something, but I saw others better placed to help (ie, native speakers, also on bikes) who also noticed this event and who did nothing, just sort of watched to 'see what would happen' perhaps. Or maybe they were also so stunned that the victim and persuant were gone before they had a change to act. Who knows.

I have never had my bag picked (except that time in Brussels train station when they sole my sisters camera from my bag) but am certainly much more aware of it now.

No comments: