Saturday 26 September 2009

Walk to work





Since leaving London in 2006 I have had the good fortune to be able to walk to work in almost every place I have lived. In Germany, it snowed and my feet froze. In China, it snowed as well and my feet froze even more, whilst in the summer I melted in the humidity after walking only 2 blocks.

Above all, the thing I loved was being able to take in my surroundings, perhaps because they were foreign, but also I think because I enjoyed watching life going on around me. The posing people of Dusseldorf, and the busy Chinese, going about their business, selling food, cooking in the street, piling onto electric bikes or walking to the bathroom down the lanes, wearing pajamas.

Now in Falmouth I have a new walk to work. It was very important to me to live in Falmouth, close to the office, so that I could walk to work. I love what it adds to my life. The mornings here are beautiful at the moment. still sunny, but with that autumnal fresh air that has so many associations with 'back to school' and a new start. I kick myself for not photographing my walk in China, so I have taken some here while I have the chance.




No comments: