Monday 13 August 2007

lunch with a stone

ha ha, well not exactly. I went for lunch with my friend AM today, and we went to my favourite cafe by the river, Marcels. It's clearly the place to go, as Ron Wood also decided to lunch there, and we sat on the table next to him, and all his minders/translators/friends. The Rolling Stones are playing here tonight, so I was not surprised to see him, just thought it was quite novel really. I'm not one for rushing up and bothering famous people with requests for autographs and cheesey photos. If anything I go the other way and kind of ignore them, almost to the point of being rude, which is a bit silly. AM is actually going to the concert tonight, but she couldn't remember which one of the Stones he was, so didn't feel that it would be appropriate to approach him and ask his name....

Mr Wood was quite loud and I couldn't help but overhear much of his conversation, although this might have been due to his speaking English. Living in a foreign country, one can't help but get over sensitive to spoken english in public, my ears can syphion it out from all the foreign languages at a good 40 paces. He was very nice to a couple of enthousiastic fans who waited paitently to approach him as he left the restaurant terrace, he shook their hands and posed for a photo before being bundled into a big silver car and driven away. What a nice man! mind you, it is his job, and he's had enough practice.

Now, I can hear a few voices out there crying in anger and shock..."Why didn't you corner him for a peck on the cheek and a photo!!" I know, I know, I'm rubbish like that...but some experiences are best left to the memory, I'm not a huge fan of the Stones, and not about to pretend to be one for the sake of his celebrity. It's like the time George Best and I smiled at each other as I passed him in his dressing gown on the stairs at Champneys. I couldn't stop and shake his hand, or pretend I'd ever seen a football game he'd played in...It would just have been wrong.

No comments: