Saturday 2 February 2008

extreme climates

The last three weeks have whizzed past in a whirlwind of packing, travelling, and generally having a rather exciting time. I think I shall write seperate pieces about it all, because it is rather diverse. In short, I've packed up my life, had a beautiful sunny and hot week in Thailand, Diving and relaxing, followed by an emotional farewell in Bangkok airport, and now here I am in my new home city under 2 inches of snow, freezing cold, and the whole country is in a pre-holiday frenzy as the CNY approaches and they are going to visit family.

I arrived Last Sunday, and am now installed in "Sun Shine International serviced appartments" as a temporary measure.My suitcases, however did not arrive. I'd sent them on from London,before I left, to avoid carrying them all the way to Thailand. So I have spent the first week wearing an interesting collection of 'beachwear' layered with as many teeshirts and tops to keep warm! Luckily my cases arrived on Friday to save the day.

What to name my new home? Well, I would use it's real name, but i don't need to, since anyone reading this actually knows where I am. The name of the city means "City By The Sea" so that is what I shall call it.

Snow is very unusual here, I think the last time it snowed like this was 20m years ago ( it gets longer every time i speak to someone about it...) and they are utterly ill-equipped for it. No grit, no clearing, nothing. the airport has shut down, the roads are a quagmire of freezing slush, and all the taxi's are hiding because they don't want to crash their cars. For a newcomer who speaks no language and has no clue where she is, it's all rather strange, not to mention dehabilitating. I am confined to a small area that I can walk within, being careful not to skid and fall over in the snow.

I am Tired from my first week in the Office here, getting to know my teams of colleagues, and just taking it all in. This morning I have found a global cafe and got myself online, which is quite a relief, as anyone who knows me will know that I do have something of a addiction to the Internet.

No comments: